Table of Contents
- Message from the Chair and Executive Director Our opinion of the new WHO guidelines for the management of chronic pain in children.
- Policy and Advocacy Dr. Katherine Pettus delivers good news from the WHO Executive Board meeting, including this: palliative care is in the final text of a resolution on essential services for people with disabilities. Plus other advocacy news, including a call for input on age and gender discrimination in palliative care.
- IAHPC News & Calendar
- How to extend your membership up to 2½ years at no cost
- Join IAHPC? Why not!
- Also: EAPC is accepting abstracts for its congress until Feb. 14, 2021; two free, online, reputable sources of information for health care workers during COVID-19; and the Kenya Hospices and Palliative Care Association seeks an executive director.
- What’s New in the IAHPC Calendar
- Featured Story Promoting resilience, preventing burnout— approaches to help you design your best tactics.
- IAHPC Book Reviews by Dr. Roger Woodruff
Palliative Care Book of the Month COMMUNITY PALLIATIVE CARE AND COVID-19: A handbook for clinicians who care for palliative patients with COVID-19 in community settings A clear and useful picture of the interface between community palliative care and COVID-19.
- USING GUIDED IMAGERY AND HYPNOSIS IN BRIEF THERAPY AND PALLIATIVE CARE Brief therapy to help patients cope and improve their psychological well-being.
- EMBRACING LIFE AND GATHERING WISDOM: Theological, Pastoral & Clinical Insights into Human Flourishing at the End of Life Patient spirituality viewed from a slightly different angle.
- PROVIDING HOME CARE FOR OLDER ADULTS: A Professional Guide for Mental Health Practitioners About geriatric mental health practice within the patient’s home.
- THE HOSPICE HERITAGE: Celebrating Our Future A 1999 celebration of hospice care in the USA.
- RELIGIOUS LITERACY IN HOSPICE CARE: Challenges and Controversies I found this book very difficult to read.
And Something Different...
- PARTING WORDS: 9 Lessons for a Remarkable Life Thoughts of a centenarian who survived an appalling childhood.
- App Review Pallikare, an Android app developed in India for clinicians
- Lessons from the Literature
Under My Microscope IAHPC Research Advisor Dr. Tania Pastrana highlights an article on low-dose methadone as an add-on to opioid therapy when treating cancer.
Media Watch: COVID-19 Barry Ashpole selects articles on: treating patients with specialized PC needs at home, COVID patients’ home care needs, and psychological risk factors following COVID-19 deaths.
- Membership Matters
- IAHPC members: breakdown by country income
- Members’ Impact
- New & Renewing Members’ List
- List of Donors
Liliana de Lima
MHA, Executive Director
The contents of this newsletter, including (but not limited to) all written material, images, photos are protected under international copyright laws and are property of the IAHPC. You may share the IAHPC newsletter preserving the original design, the IAHPC logo, and the link to the IAHPC website, but you are not allowed to reproduce, modify, or republish any material without prior written permission from the IAHPC.