2020; Volume 21, No 4, April
Table of Contents
- Message from the Chair and Executive Director Liliana and Lukas describe a new web page of COVID-19 resources, a series of briefing notes being compiled, some good news regarding changes to the IAHPC board, and more.
- Policy and Advocacy Advocacy for essential palliative care medicines goes into high gear as COVID-19 ravages fragile health care systems. Dr. Katherine Pettus reports on policy progress at a recent UN Committee on Narcotic Drugs meeting and suggests how to move forward with implementation.
- IAHPC News & Calendar
- IAHPC launches a dedicated web page, Palliative Care and COVID-19, a compendium of online resources and a link to each.
- From the Frontlines: Members’ reports on their local COVID-19 situations are welcomed. In this issue: Malaysia & South Africa. These reports will also be housed on the IAHPC website here.
- Dr. Felicia Knaul joins the IAHPC Board.
- Our 2019 Annual Report is now online.
- IAHPC earns highest GuideStar rating.
- Reader Recommended: An autism and health care resource.
- 6 new definitions have been added to Pallipedia.
- Changes to IAHPC Calendar of Events listings.
- Featured Story Families’ financial rehabilitation as part of palliative care: CanSupport’s initiative in India, a feature written by its President and IAHPC Board Member Harmala Gupta.
- IAHPC Book Reviews
Book of the Month
HANDBOOK OF PERINATAL AND NEONATAL PALLIATIVE CARE: A Guide for Nurses, Physicians, and Other Health Professionals A practical handbook for clinicians.
- CULTIVATING THE DOULA HEART: Essentials of Compassionate Care A little gem of a book, very relevant to palliative care.
- A FIELD MANUAL FOR PALLIATIVE CARE IN HUMANITARIAN CRISES Is it beneficial to transplant what we know as palliative care in developed countries into the management of humanitarian crises?
- HOSPICE AND PALLIATIVE CARE ACUPUNCTURE The utility of acupuncture in hospice and palliative care.
- FAMOUS LAST WORDS: An Anthology A collection of some Last Words.
- Lessons from the Literature
Under My Microscope IAHPC Research Advisor Dr. Tania Pastrana selects an editorial on managing COVID-19 in LMICs.
Media Watch: COVID-19 A triage flow chart for low-income settings, and palliative care in the ER are two articles that Barry Ashpole highlights in this issue.
- Introducing... the Portuguese Association of Palliative Care (APCP)
- Membership Matters
- Meet Julia Libreros, your Coordinator of Directory Services.
- Celebrating our Lifetime Members: 2000-2003
- New & Renewing Members’ List
- List of Donors
Liliana de Lima
MHA, Executive Director
The contents of this newsletter, including (but not limited to) all written material, images, photos are protected under international copyright laws and are property of the IAHPC. You may share the IAHPC newsletter preserving the original design, the IAHPC logo, and the link to the IAHPC website, but you are not allowed to reproduce, modify, or republish any material without prior written permission from the IAHPC.