Dr. Lankoandé Martin, founder of Hospice Burkina, explains to a 52-year-old widow with advanced breast cancer how to use oral morphine at home. This patient was coping with severe anemia, poor sleep quality, and uncontrolled pain. September is Pain Awareness Month, which IAHPC is marking with an open webinar: Peace in Serious Health-Related Suffering and at End of Life: Is it possible? The photo, submitted by Dr. Martin to the 2021 Photo Contest, is used with permission.
Table of Contents
- Dear Readers Lukas and Liliana on World Day in October, embarking on a $175,000 project to help relieve serious health-related suffering, and a nod to September's WHO seminars.
- Policy & Advocacy Katherine Pettus on an open IAHPC interfaith webinar, taking stock 5 years after the Astana Declaration, an upcoming WHO Europe meeting, & advocacy opportunities for upcoming intergovernmental meetings on opioids. Also, Netflix series misses US government failures on opioid controls, and IAHPC reports to the Human Rights Council on how the lack of palliative care comprises neglect of older persons.
- Special Advocacy Report Dr. Obangjungla reports on her first steps toward implementing palliative care in Nagaland, India.
- IAHPC News
- IAHPC a partner in creating Extended Package of medical essentials.
- $10,000 Global Giving donation boosts IAHPC's aid to palliative care providers in war-torn Sudan.
- IAHPC interfaith webinar Sept. 21: Peace in Serious Illness and at the End of Life?
- WHO webinars Sept. 12 and 14: Sharing country experiences on access to morphine for medical use, "Left Behind in Pain."
- In-depth courses delayed.
- IAHPC Scholars selected to attend the APHN congress.
- What’s New in the IAHPC Calendar.
- Featured Story Turning windows into doors: how online teaching provoked Victoria Hewitt's advocacy.
- Q & A With WHO's Kiusiang Tay-Teo: a personal glimpse into the WHO report on access to morphine for medical use, Left Behind in Pain.
- Book Review Anniversary re-issue of Ira Byock's The Four Things That Matter Most, reviewed by Frank Brennan. Plus: New on the Shelf
- Lessons from the Literature On My Radar From Barry Ashpole's newest Literature Search
- Membership Matters
- New & Renewing Members’ List
- Last Month’s Donors
Liliana de Lima
The contents of this newsletter, including (but not limited to) all written material, images, photos are protected under international copyright laws and are property of the IAHPC. You may share the IAHPC newsletter preserving the original design, the IAHPC logo, and the link to the IAHPC website, but you are not allowed to reproduce, modify, or republish any material without prior written permission from the IAHPC.