2020; Volume 21, No 9, September
CanSupport’s senior nurse Iftekhar Bi, on one of her home visits, moistens the dry lips of a patient with a nasogastric tube. Photo by CanSupport counselor Ashish Samuel. Used with permission.
Table of Contents
- Message from the Chair and Executive Director Lukas and Liliana give a foretaste of notable October events, including World Hospice and Palliative Care Day.
- Policy and Advocacy Building on accomplishments: Dr. Katherine Pettus describes four important ongoing initiatives involving UN Agencies.
- Guest Advocacy Column The view from here: Harsh Vardhan Sahni brings a fresh eye and hopeful vision to palliative care in these challenging times.
- COVID-19 Members’ Survey Nearly ⅓ of respondents lacked PPE, and only 16% felt safe when caring for COVID patients. These and other results from the recent IAHPC survey.
- IAHPC News & Calendar
- Clinicians take note: IAHPC and FEMBA announce a new initiative — a database for first palliative care consults.
- Every dollar counts: Your donation will be matched during Global Giving’s Little by Little campaign.
- EAPC’s generous gift: 10 IAHPC members to “attend” the European Association for Palliative Care online research congress.
- World Hospice and Palliative Care Day — an annual event — takes place on Saturday, October 10.
- Reader Recommended: A free training course imparts fundamental knowledge.
- Member Recognition Awards deadline is October 31.
- What’s New in the IAHPC Calendar
- In other news “Consultant calls” for clinicians offered by the U.S. Centre to Advance Palliative Care.
- Featured Story Dr. Nahla Gafer reflects on how COVID-19 has changed the way we die.
- IAHPC Book Reviews
Book of the Month COMMUNICATION IN PALLIATIVE NURSING. 2e: The COMFORT Model A thorough but readable review covering all aspects of communication in palliative care.
Other Review PEDIATRIC PALLIATIVE CARE Detailed discussions of management possibilities for 38 difficult clinical situations in pediatric palliative care.
- Lessons from the Literature
Under My Microscope IAHPC Research Advisor Dr. Tania Pastrana selects an article on deprescribing.
Media Watch: The ICU and ACP A selection from Barry Ashpole’s weekly selection from the palliative care literature.
- We Choose IAHPC! Longtime and Lifetime members tell us why their IAHPC membership is so important to them.
- Membership Matters
- New & Renewing Members’ List
- List of Donors
Liliana de Lima
MHA, Executive Director