- Message from the Chair and Executive Director Dr. Lukas Radbruch and Liliana De Lima report and reflect on IAHPC Member Appreciation Month, World Hospice Palliative Care Day, and September’s Oceanic Palliative Care Conference. Also, the launch of a platform to access Lancet data on access to palliative care and pain relief is imminent!
- Policy and Advocacy Dr. Katherine Pettus highlights the contributions of two palliative care clinicians who contributed to international advocacy this past month: Dr. Anne Merriman, who corresponded with the Director General of the World Health Organization (WHO) on the decision to withdraw two key guidance documents on the treatment of pain and medicines policy, and Dr. Maria García-Baquero Merino, who represented IAHPC at the annual WHO regional meeting in Europe. Also: A nod to the International Day of Older Persons and an update on the IAHPC Online Advocacy Course.
News & Resources
- Applications are now being accepted for the IAHPC Traveling Scholarships for the Latin American Association of Palliative Care Congress in Costa Rica. Closing date: December 15!
- Win a Traveling Scholarship or Fellowship during October, IAHPC Member Appreciation Month.
- IAHPC Rated a Top Nonprofit by Users.
- GivingTuesday: A day to embark on a world of good.
- Love Is Listening is a film that movingly describes how Memory Bridge brings the joy of social contact to those with dementia.
- IAHPC Calendar of Events — New listings.
- Grants in Action A trio of reports on the impact of the Oceanic Palliative Care Conference from Traveling Scholars in Sri Lanka and Australia.
- Featured Article Board member Eva Namisango describes and defines a good death from an African perspective.
- IAHPC Book Reviews
- BOOK OF THE MONTH TEXTBOOK OF PALLIATIVE CARE Covers all aspects of palliative care, emphasizing its multidisciplinary nature. Expensive.
- A GOOD DEATH: A Compassionate and Practical Guide to Prepare for the End of Life Well-written information about end-of-life care for the lay reader.
- DEMYSTIFYING HOSPICE: Inside the Stories of Patients and Caregivers Well-written information about hospice for the lay reader.
- WHAT DOES IT FEEL LIKE TO DIE? Inspiring New Insights into the Experience of Dying What patients and their caregivers can expect to face in their final months.
- THE INTERNATIONAL HANDBOOK OF ART THERAPY IN PALLIATIVE AND BEREAVEMENT CARE Multicultural and international perspectives on how art therapy can help in palliative and bereavement care.
- Lessons from the Literature
Under My Microscope IAHPC Research Advisor Dr. Tania Pastrana selects an article on methotrimeprazine vs. haloperidol for nausea.
Media Watch: Long-Term Care Results of a New Zealand study; an instrument to assess education needs of nursing assistants; and the challenge of collaboration between nursing homes, home care, and hospitals.
- Introducing... Family Health Care Association - Mary Potter Palliative Care Center
List of members New & Renewing Members
- List of Donors