Guidelines and Suggestions for those Starting a Hospice/Palliative Care Service, 3rd edition
Derek Doyle, OBE, MD
Table of contents
Sources of Useful Information
Each organisation listed below produces authoritative, up-to-date information, invaluable not only to those starting a hospice/palliative care service but to those well-established, making it all essential reading.
Those 'getting started' are reminded that the IAHPC has its own regularly updated list of recommended books on almost every aspect of Hospice and Palliative Care. Each has been reviewed by experienced and eminent members of the IAHPC who understand the needs of all working in palliative care.
Listed below is only a small selection of highly recommended books, all ideal for new libraries:
- Alexander M F, Fawcett J N, Runciman P J. (2006) Nursing Practice: Hospice and Home - The Adult. 3rd Edition. Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh. (Written for both student nurses and those returning to nursing, with an excellent section on palliative care. A useful book for the new library).
- Allison Michael, Kaye Jude. (2015). Strategic Planning for Nonprofit Organizations: A Practical Guide for Dynamic Times (Wiley Nonprofit Authority) 3rd Edition. Wiley, USA.
- Beecher R and Gamlin R. (2004) Palliative Care Nursing: Fundamental Aspects of Nursing. Mark Allen Publishing.
- Bruera E, Dalal S (2018) The M.D. Anderson Supportive and Palliative Care Handbook. The University of Texas, Houston.
- Bruera E, Higginson I, Ripamonti C and Von-Gunten C Morita T. (2006) Texbook of Palliative Medicine. 3rd Edition. CRC Press, USA.
- Bruera E, De Lima L, Wenk R, Farr W. (2004) Palliative Care in Developing Countries: Principles and Practice. IAHPC Press, USA.
- Buckman R. (1992) I don't know what to say - how to help and support someone who is dying. Vintage. (Invaluable for those faced with this challenge and as a teaching text).
- Buckman R. (1993) How to break bad news - a guide for health care professionals. Macmillan, London. (Excellent for students, junior doctors and family doctor),
- Bryson John. (2018) Strategic Planning for Public and Nonprofit Organizations: A Guide to Strengthening and Sustaining Organizational Achievement. Wiley, USA.
- Currow D, Clark K (2010) Emergencies in Palliative Care and Supportive Care. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- Dickman A, Schneider J, Varga J. (2016) The Syringe Driver: Continuous Subcutaneous Infusions in Palliative Care. 4th Edition. Oxford University Press, Oxford. (The authoritative text on syringe drivers/pumps).
- Doyle D. (2002) Volunteers in Hospice and Palliative Care: a handbook for volunteer service managers. Oxford University Press, Oxford. (New edition due 2009).
- Cherny NI, Fallon M, Kaasa S, Portenoy RK, Currow D. (2015) The Oxford Textbook of Palliative Medicine. 5th Edition. Oxford University Press, Oxford. (The definitive reference book on every aspect of palliative medicine).
- Davidson Glen (Editor) (2013) The Hospice: Development and Administration (Death Education, Aging and Health Care) 2nd Edition, Routledge, USA.
- Doyle D, Jeffrey D. (2000) Palliative Care in the Home. Oxford University Press, Oxford. (Written exclusively for non-specialist doctors and nurses working in the community.
- Fallon M, Hanks G (2006) ABC of Palliative Care. 2nd Edition. BMJ Books/Blackwell Pub, Oxford. (A book for doctors and nurses as well as students).
- Ferrell B, Paice J (2019) Textbook of Palliative Nursing. Oxford University Press, Oxford. (Probably the best text for nurses specialising in palliative care).
- Faull C, DeCastecke S, Nicholson A, Black F. (2012) Handbook of Palliative Care. 3rd Edition. Blackwell Science, London. (A multi-professional book excellent for nurses as well as doctors).
- Goldman, A. (1994) Care of the Dying Child. Oxford University Press, Oxford. (Written by a specialist in paediatric palliative care - Essential reading for anyone called upon to care for children).
- Higginson, I J. (1993) Clinical Audit in Palliative Care. Radcliffe Press, Oxford.
- Higginson I J. (1997) Health Care Needs Assessment: Palliative and Terminal Care. Radcliffe Medical Press, Oxford.
- Kinghorn S and Gaines S. (2007) Palliative Care Nursing: Improving End of Life Nursing. 2nd Edition. Balliere Tindall, London.
- Kouzes James M, Posner Barry (2012). The Leadership Challenge: How to Make Extraordinary Things Happen in Organizations. Jossey-Bass: USA.
- Lugton J and McIntyre R. (2005) Palliative Care: The Nursing Role. Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh.
- MacDonald N, Herx L, Boyle A. (2021) Palliative Medicine: a case-based manual. 4th edition Oxford University Press, Oxford. (Ideal for teaching medical students and junior doctors).
- Palliative Care Australia (2018). Palliative Care Service Development Guidelines.
- Payne S, Seymour J, Ingleton C. (2008) Palliative Care Nursing: Principles and Evidence for practice (2nd Edition) Maidenhead: Open University Press.
- Pizam A. (2019) International Encyclopedia of Hospitality Management. Elsevier.
- Pynes Joan. (2013) Human Resources Management for Public and Nonprofit Organizations: A Strategic Approach 4th Edition. Jossey-Bass: USA.
- Randall F, Downie RS. (2006) The Philosophy of Palliative Care: Critique and Reconstruction, Oxford University Press, Oxford. (Comprehensive coverage of all major ethical issues encountered in palliative care).
- Robbins M. (1998) Evaluating Palliative Care: Establishing the Evidence Base. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- Sims R, Moss VA (1995) Palliative Care for People with AIDS Edward Arnold, London. (Highly recommended for all called upon to provide palliative care to patients with AIDS).
- Stahl Michael J. Encyclopedia of Health Care Management (2003) SAGE: UK.
- Walsh D, Foley KM, Glare P, Caraceni AT, Fainsinger R, Goh C, Lloyd-Williams M, Nuñez Olarte JM, Radbruch L. (2008) Palliative Medicine. Saunders, UK.
- Watson M, Ward S, Vallath N, Wells J, Campbell R. (2019) Oxford Handbook of Palliative Care. 3rd Edition. Oxford University Press, Oxford. (Comprehensive, compact and based on the Oxford Textbook of Palliative Medicine).
- Woodruff R. (2004) Palliative medicine: Evidence-based Symptomatic and Supportive care for Patients with Advanced Cancer and AIDS. 4th edition. Oxford University Press, Oxford. (Comprehensive, authoritative and reasonably priced).
- Woodruff R, Doyle D. (2009) IAHPC Manual of Palliative Care - Read Online at IAHPC (The basics - Completely revised and brought up-to-date).
Each is international but the country where it is published is shown here (in alphabetical order):
Table of Contents