2019; Volume 20, No 7, July
Table of Contents
Grants in Action The first reports from 18 successful applicants for IAHPC’s Traveling Scholarships to the EAPC congress in May. The second group of reports will follow in the August issue.
Featured Article Dr. Hibah Osman reports on a key advance in Lebanon: a government decree that makes palliative care reimbursable.
IAHPC Book Review This month is an enforced haitus as Dr. Roger Woodruff awaits promised books to review. Learn, instead, about Dr. Woodruff’s own book released this week — free to read online: Euthanasia and Physician Assisted Suicide: Are they clinically necessary or desirable?
Lessons from the Literature
- Message from the Chair and Executive Director IAHPC’s response to a US House of Representatives report and WHO’s reaction to it.
- Policy and Advocacy The need for high-level advocacy and the importance of international drug policy are highlighted in Dr. Katherine Pettus’s reports of several key meetings and events.
Announcements, Resource & Events
- Crossroads of Grief Project updates a 2015 literature review of articles on children’s experiences with death, dying, and grief.
- Scholarships for an IPSO Academy on communication for health care professionals working in oncology in Africa.
- Butterfly Children’s Hospices seeks volunteer trustees.
- Reader Recommended Learn why Harmala Gupta recommends Dr. Ira Byock’s 1997 book, Dying Well.
- iPal Global: A free app that delivers essential palliative care information for clinicians.
- New in the IAHPC Calendar of Events
- Find the palliative-care-related workshop, seminar, congress, or conference you need or want to attend. Or submit an event for consideration; it’s free!
Under My Microscope An article on continuous and intermittent palliative sedation is Dr. Tania Pastrana’s choice this month.
Media Watch: On Humanitarian Crises Barry Ashpole selects articles that reveal facets of palliative care during humanitarian crises.
IAHPC Membership Matters
Introducing... Research Institute for Hospice and Palliative Care, Korea.
- 2018 IAHPC Institutional Award winner reports on the congress the prize helped pay for.
- New & Renewing Members List
Alison Ramsey, Senior Editor
Katherine Pettus, PhD, Advisor
Liliana de Lima, MHA, Executive Director
Danilo Fritzler, Webmaster