2019; Volume 20, No 6, June
Table of Contents
- Message from the Chair and Executive Director Liliana and Lukas report on several key events in May, and give a hint of exciting changes to come for IAHPC.
- Policy and Advocacy Advocacy Officer Dr. Katherine Pettus reports on the World Health Assembly in Geneva, IAHPC’s successful side event, and the European Association of Palliative Care Congress in Berlin. Report on a collabortion between IAHPC and students in a U.S.-based Executive Program in Global Health.
IAHPC Membership Matters
- Galilee Palliative Care Unit has been selected as the IAHPC’s 2019 Institutional Member Award Winner.
- New & Renewing Members List
Announcements & Events
- Great Idea! The Palliative Care Association of Uganda implements a program to train health care workers in pertinent legal issues.
- Another Great Idea! PC workers taught basic sign language.
- Intensive pediatric palliative care workshop to be held in Rome in November.
- New in the IAHPC Calendar of Events
- Around the World: Progress report Mark Mwesiga reports on how efforts by the Palliative Care Association of Uganda (PCAU) has sharply improved availability of pain medication.
- Featured Article Dr. Chitra Venkatesh highlights different voices at this year’s IAHPC conference.
- IAHPC Book Reviews
Book of the Month
THAT GOOD NIGHT: Life and medicine in the eleventh hour One doctor’s reflections on the meaning and practice of palliative care. Very readable.
- THE ADVANCE OF HEALING: In service to caring for one anothere Stories and reflections dealing with many of the human or personal aspects of death and dying.
- GUIDE TO PAIN MANAGEMENT IN LOW-RESOURCE SETTINGS: First published in 2010. If it is relevant to your practice, you can download it for free.
- Lessons from the Literature
Under My Microscope An article on COPD highlights the importance of the expanding role of palliative care.
Media Watch: The ICU How one student used art to describe complex feelings about working in the ICU, and articles about the role of PC and ethics in the ICU.
Alison Ramsey, Senior Editor
Katherine Pettus, PhD, Advisor
Liliana de Lima, MHA, Executive Director
Danilo Fritzler, Webmaster