2019; Volume 20, No 1, January
Table of Contents
- Message from the Chair and Executive Director An introduction to IAHPC’s consensus-based definition of palliative care.
- Editor’s Corner On recent changes to the look of the email version, and an open door for feedback.
- Policy and Advocacy Dr. Katherine Pettus’s roundup of highlights for the advancement of palliative care advocacy in 2018, and some goals for 2019.
- Featured Article IAHPC Board Member Dr. Julia Downing discusses current questions and concerns surrounding children’s palliative care.
- IAHPC News Comments about the IAHPC Palliative Care Definition, an invitation to endorse it, a call for volunteer translators, and links to the full text and endorsements.
IAHPC Grants in Action Reports from Traveling Scholarship grantees attending 2 different events.
IAHPC Book Reviews A year-end list of Dr. Roger Woodruff’s 2018 Books of the Month, with links to each review.
- Media Watch
Thematic Issue A special issue of Illness, Crisis & Loss comprises applied explorations of disenfranchised grief.
Surveys & Solutions The first published exploration of palliative care in the Solomon Islands, and researchers identify 7 areas that need to be addressed to improve end-of-life care for those with dementia.
- Moving from heart failure guidelines to clinical practice: Gaps contributing to readmissions in patients with multiple comorbidities and older age. An outline of important gaps in guidelines for patients with comorbidities and the elderly.
- How do palliative care doctors recognise imminently dying patients? A judgement analysis. Insight into doctors’ decision-making for hospice patients with end-stage malignancy, and the weight to give contributing factors.
- Palliative care in universal health coverage: What about humanitarian emergency assistance? New guidelines to an emerging consideration of palliative care among humanitarian organisations.
- Distance Ed: Advanced Palliative Care Course
Applications Open for Leadership Course in Europe
Registration Open for Asia-Pacific Conference
- Pain Management: AJPH Publishes Special Section
Reader Recommended: An advanced practice nurse, consultant, and educator relies upon www.mypcnow.org/fast-facts
- CaringBridge: An online way to coordinate care of a loved one
- See our 4 new Calendar listings. Or go directly to the full Calendar to find a workshop, seminar, congress, or conference that speaks to you. Anyone can submit an event for consideration; it’s free!
- Introducing... ATLANTES, a team in Spain that pursues research from the perspective of human dignity and professional care.
- IAHPC Membership Matters 2018’s Lifetime Membership Award winner reports on the Congress on Nursing Care and Education that she attended.
Alison Ramsey, Senior Editor
Katherine Pettus, PhD, Advisor
Liliana de Lima, MHA, Executive Director
Danilo Fritzler, Webmaster