Palliative Care and Pain Treatment as Human Rights
The following documents contain text related to access to pain treatment and palliative care as fundamental human rights.
If you know of a document not listed here, please let us know by sending it to us online by clicking here.
Free Acrobat PDF reader may be downloaded for all operating systems and in many languages
- International and Regional Conventions and Treaties
- Enforcement and Treaty Interpretations – Reports, General Comments, Cases
- Other UN bodies documents
- Member States´ documents
- Civil Society initiatives (advocacy)
- Articles and presentations from experts
International and Regional Conventions and Treaties (legally binding documents)
- UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights, UN, 1948
- General Comment No. 14: The right to the highest attainable standard of health. Substantive issues arising in the implementation of the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights.Committee on Economic, Social, and Cultural Rights Twenty-second session 25 April-12 May 2000, WHO Geneva.
- UN Convention on the Rights of the Child. General comment No. 15 on the right of the child to the enjoyment of the highest attainable standard of health (art. 24). (2013)
Enforcement and Treaty Interpretations – Reports, General Comments, Cases
- UN Human Rights Council. Statement by Paul Hunt, Special Rapporteur on the Right of everyone to the enjoyment of the highest attainable standard of physical and mental health. March 11th, 2008.
- Annual report of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights and Reports of the Office of the High Commissioner and the Secretary General. Access to medications in the context of pandemics such as HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria. Report of the Secretary-General (2008)
- Annual Report on Human Rights in the World 2007 and the European Union´s policy on the matter. European Union, 2008.
- UN Human Rights Council Seventh session Agenda item 3. Promotion and Protection of all human rights civil, political, economic, social and cultural rights. Report of the Special Rapporteur on the right of everyone to the enjoyment of the highest attainable standard of physical and mental health, Paul Hunt. January 2008.
- Committee on the rights of the Child. Fifty-sixth session. Considerations of Reports submitted by state parties (2011).
- Human Rights Council - Resolution A/HRC/23/Access to essential medicines in the context of the right of everyone to the enjoyment of the highest attainable standard of physical and mental health (2013)
- Mendez J. Report of the Special Rapporteur on torture and other cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment. Human Rights Council Twenty-second session Agenda item 3 A/HRC/22/53, Feb1, 2013.
Other UN bodies documents
- Right to Health Fact Sheet - World Health Organization
- World Health Organization: A declaration on the promotion of patients´ rights in Europe, WHO Regional Office Europe, 1994.
- Protection of the human rights and dignity of the terminally ill and the dying – Council of Europe Parliamentary Assembly, Recommendation 1418 (1999).
- AIDS: Palliative Care. UN AIDS Technical Update, UNAIDS Best Practice Collection, 2000.
- The Right to Health Fact Sheet No.31 – UN Office of High Commissioner for Human Rights and World Health Organization (2008).
- Commission on Narcotic Drugs Resolution 53/4 - Promoting adequate availability of internationally controlled licit drugs for medical and scientific purposes while preventing their diversion and abuse. (2010)
To read recommendations on how civil society can play a role in the implementation of Resolution 53/4 click here
Member States´ documents
- Increasing access to essential medicines in the developing world: UK Government policy and plans, Department for International Development (DFID), 2004.
Civil Society initiatives (Advocacy) - NGOs
- Korea Declaration on Hospice and Palliative Care, March 2005.
- UNAIDS/UNHCR International Guidelines on HIV/AIDS and Human Rights: 2006 Consolidated version.
- Access to pain relief: an essential human right. A report for World Hospice and Palliative Care. Published by Help the Hospices for the Worldwide Palliative Care Alliance, 2007.
- (EN) | (ES) Palliative Care and Human Rights: A Resource Guide. Open Society Institute and Equitas. New York: OSI, 2007.
- (EN) | (ES) Panama Proclamation – Pain and Palliative Care as Human Rights. Federation of Latin American IASP Chapters, May 2008.
- Human Rights Watch Report “Please Do Not Make Us Suffer Any More…Access To Pain Treatment As A Human Right.” (2008)
- Morphine consumption in the world: Countries with the highest and lowest consumption in 2006. Pain and Policy Studies Group, WHO Collaborating Center in Policy and Communications for Cancer Care, Madison, 2008.
- Human Rights Watch Report. Unbearable Pain: India’s Obligation to Ensure Palliative Care (2009)
- Hospice Palliative Care Association of South Africa, Open Society Foundation for South Africa and Open Society Institute. Legal Aspects of Palliative Care (2009)
- IAHPC – WPCA Joint Declaration and Statement of Commitment on Palliative Care and Pain Treatment as Human Rights. Available in English, French, Spanish and Russian. Click here.
- The Mayday Fund. A Call to Revolutionize Chronic Pain Care in America: An Opportunity in Health Care Reform (2009)
- Open Society Foundations. Palliative Care as a Human Right. Fact Sheet (2010)
- Human Rights Watch Report. Needless Pain Government Failure to Provide Palliative Care for Children in Kenya (2010).
- Human Rights Watch Report. Global State of Pain Treatment: Access to Medicines and Palliative Care (2011)
- Human Rights Watch Report Uncontrolled Pain: Ukraine’s Obligation to Ensure Evidence-Based Palliative Care (2011)
- Legal Rights of Children in Palliative Care (chapter 8). Hospice Palliative Care Association of South Africa (2011).
- World Medical Association. Resolution on the Access to Adequate Treatment (2011)
- INTERIGHTS The International Centre for the Legal Protection of Human Rights. Human Rights Abuses and Health Care (2011)
- European Association for Palliative Care. The Prague Charter –Palliative Care, a Human Right. (2013)
- Open Society Foundations. Access to Palliative Care: A Neglected Component of the Right to Health A Report on the Human Rights Council Side Event June 2011. Published April 2013.
Articles and presentations from experts
- Pain Relief as a Human Right. By Frank Brennan and Michael J. Cousins. IASP Pain Clinical Updates. Volume XII, No. 5, March 2004.
- A human rights approach to the WHO Model List of Essential Medicines. Xavier Seuba. Bulletin of the WHO Organization, Vol 84(5)2006.
- Is access to essential medicines as part of the fulfilment of the right to health enforceable through the courts?
Hans V Hogerzeil, Melanie Samson, Jaume Vidal Casanovas, Ladan Rahmani-Ocora The Lancet,Vol 368 July 22, 2006
- Essential medicines and human rights: what can they learn from each other? Hans V Hogerzeil. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 2006;84:371-375.
- Pain Management: A fundamental Human Right. Frank Brennan, Daniel B. Carr, and Michael Cousins. Journal Anesthesia and Analgesia, Vol. 105(1), 2007.
- Palliative Care as a Human Right. By Frank Brennan, Liz Gwyther and Richard Harding. Sponsored by and Calvary Health Care, Hospice and Palliative Care Association of South Africa, University of Cape Town, King´s College and Open Society Institute. (2007)
- Palliative Care as a Human Right Power point presentation by Dr. Liz Gwyther at the African Association for Palliative Care Conference, September 2007.
- Palliative Care as an International Human Right. By Frank Brennan, Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. Vol 33(5), 2007.
- History, principles, and practice of health and human rights. Sofie Gruskind, Edard Mills, Daneil Tarantola. The Lancet 370: 449-455. (2007)
- Derechos Humanos y Cuidados Paliativos. By Lisbeth Quesada Tristan. Rev Med Honduras, 2008; 76: 39-43 (In Spanish)
- Palmer A, Tomkinson J, Phung C, Ford N, Joffres M, Fernandes KA, Zeng L, Lima V, Montaner JSG, Guyatt GH, Mills EJ. Does ratification of human-rights treaties have effects on population health? The Lancet, Volume 373, Issue 9679, Pages 1987 - 1992, 6 June 2009.
- Lohman D, Schleifer R, Amon JJ. Access to pain treatment as a human right BMC Medicine 2010, 8:8 /1741-7015/8/8. (2010)
- The right to Palliative Care as a Human Right - power point presentation by Liliana De Lima at the Congress of the European Association for Palliative Care (EAPC), June 2013.